THE LIFE OF PROF. JOSHUA ALABI
Born on March 1, 1958, Prof. Alabi Joshua has gone through the threadmill of life to become a household name in academia and professional circles.
*lEDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
– Primary and Middle School education at St. John’s Preparatory School( Now St. John’s Grammar School)
– O’Level and A’Level at Tamale Secondary School.
– Professional Training in
Accountancy and Marketing at then institute of Professional Studies.
– Master of Science in Industrial Economics from Russian Economics University
– Master of Science in International Marketing from Strathclyde University, Glasgow- Scotland, United Kingdom.
– Member, Chartered Institute of Marketing(CIM), Ghana.
– Fellow, Institute of Taxation, Ghana.
– Fellow, Chartered Institute of Bankers, Ghana.
CAREER IN ACADEMIA
– Taught at Northern Business School from 1980-1981 before travelling abroad to further his education.
– Served as Lecturer at UPSA from 1987 to 2005
– Rose to become Head of Marketing Department at UPSA in 1989
– Rose to become Dean of the Faculty of Management at UPSA in 2003
– Promoted to Senior Lecturer in 2001 and Subsequently Promoted to Associate Professor by the University Governing Council in 2008.
– Promoted to Pro – Rector from 2005-2008 and became Rector from 2009-2012.
– Became first Vice- Chancellor of UPSA in 2012 and retired in 2016.
– Member of Parliament for Krowor Constituency 1997-2001.
– Minister of State, Greater Accra Region &
Minister of State, Northern Region, between 1997- 2001.
– NDC Greater Accra Regional Chairman , 2001-2005.
– Campaign Coordinator, Prof JEA Mills campaign 2004.
– General Secretary, Ghana League Clubs Association, 1994-1997
– Member, GFA management committee and Coordinator Black Stars management team , 1994-1997
-Vice President NUGS Moscow
-NUGS President Europe
-NUGS President USSR
BOARDS & OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
– Chairman, Board of Trustees SSNIT,
– Chairman, Board of Directors, HFC Bank.
– Chairman, Governing Council, Accra Polytechnic, 2009-2014
– Chairman, Ghana Book Development Council, 2009-2017.
– Chairman, Social Science Committe, UNESCO Commission for Ghana, 2009-2014.
– Member, Group of Experts for UNESCO Executive Board, Paris, 2011.
– Chairperson, West Africa Region, International Association of University Presidents 2011-2016
– Founder and Board Chairman, Consumer Advocay Center.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
– Mushod Abiola Prize for Excellence in Marketing, 1992.
– Best Conference Paper Award, Clute Institute Academic Research Conference, Las Vegas, 2017.
– Most Influential Public Sector Leader by IMANI Ghana, 2012
– Marketing Man of the year, CIMG, 2012.
– Africa Vice- Chancellor of the year 2013.
– Award For Transformational Leadership, Chartered Institute of Bankers, 2015.
– Office of the Order of the Volta, Government of Ghana, 2016.
PERSONAL & FAMILY LIFE
Prof. Joshua Alabi is happily married to Prof. Goski Alabi.
The Union has been blessed with two beautiful children.